Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Great 1911








So this past year I decided that I would finally get a 1911 and I did a lot of shopping around and handling all the 1911's out on the market.I looked at Springfield's and Kimbers and Smiths and anything else I could lay my hands on.I finally decided on a blued Taurus PT 1911 in 45ACP.I went with this one because of all the race gun mods already done at the factory that would of put any other manufacturers gun out of my self imposed budget.







This gun came with lots of cool stuff the others didn't like a full-length guide rod and reverse plug,Heinie Straight Eight night sites,Serrated slide front and rear,Checkered trigger guard,mainspring housing and front strap,Ambidextrous safety,Beavertail grip safety with memory pad,Target hammer,Skeleton serrated trigger,trigger job,Custom fit barrel with gauged bushing,custom slide to frame fit,Polished feed ramp and barrel throat,Lowered and flared ejection port,Custom internal extractor,Extended mag release button, Beveled mag well and came with two mags.









This is a added value of 1600 bucks!Well as soon as I got it I changed the grips,it came with some black checkered nylon ones that were a little slim and I just didn't really like.I added some cool faux ivory ones with the grim reaper that caught my eye.I have run about 300 rounds through it and have yet to have a single hiccup.I am very happy with this gun.I did have to get used to the sights as stated they are the strait eight sites and you line em up like a figure 8 and you place the top ring on your intended point of impact.Now this took a little getting used too as I am a bulls eye shooter and am used to the six o'clock hold.But with some practice I got used to it and found that they are very fast sights,you can get on target very fast and that is very important in a combat/defence handgun.I have shot nothing but jacketed bullets as I hate lead fowling.I give this gun a A and would give it a A+ if it came with a rear sight that was adjustable for elevation.The sights are adjustable for windage and are spot on for the recommended sight picture but I would love to be able to use the six oclock hold for bulls eye shooting.The bottom pic shows the illumination of the sights I took the pic with just a bit of backlight and they stand out in poor light to complete darkness.In my opinion this is a great 1911 and you wont go wrong if you get one.No its not a Kimber or a Gold cup but I'd put it up against them in any match and I think the shooters would decide the outcome not the brand.

No comments: